Tuesday 10 July 2007

One night stands and feminist critique: why

This blog posting is the result of about three semesters (six months) of English classes between Years 11 and 12 studying representations of gender and dissecting tonnes of material where constructions of gender were construed and at times, over analysed. Think of the provocative advertisements that challenge traditional constructions of gender (ie Voodoo advertisements) and/or reinforce traditional constructions of gender (ie the controversial Windsor Smith shoes advertisements).



Since being educated about such important issues, I have become more analytical and opinionated (at times explosive) about my reactions to 'sexist' or biased advertisements on television or in the print media. I'm at a stage of my life, where I am still developing my values and beliefs with relation to issues, some which involve me supporting feminist ideals as well as challenging or siding with alternative view points on confronting issues that women face everyday. Such issues range from 'breaking the glass ceiling' (ie climbing the corporate hierarchy), women's rights, equal opportunity....the list is endless.

However, tonight I'm particularly concerned about "one-night stands" having visited a couple of other blogs whose authors have quite openly expressed and commentated on several stances on this topic, a topic which leaves some of us tight-lipped and others more vocal.

Some of you may find critique in this posting, arguing that I am only seventeen and therefore should not be talking about such a 'taboo' topic, however, I feel that having being educated and exposed to such issues, I have a right to freely express what I think without giving a fcuk about what people may think or say.

So here it goes...(post coming soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you agree, disagree or want to rant?

Then leave a comment!