Monday 2 July 2007

The BIG questions: Happiness, Individualism, materialism, poverty

Had brunch today. Nothing really healthy or appetising - very boring start to my day: toasted white bread, heaps of margarine and strawberry jam with a hot cup of Milo...it actually made me sick later on during the day. Hint: it involved the 'forceful expulsion of the contents of one's stomach through the mouth' as Wikipedia describes it.

Anyways enough said, I like to read while I'm eating (well, at least when there's nothing else to stare at, apart from the walls).

I picked up the latest issue of The Weekend Australian Magazine. Flicked through a couple of pages. Went past a couple of articles - some which seemed rather 'far-fetched' especially considering I had just woken up. Hmmm. Flip, flip, flip. Next page. Bang. The words. Scribby in writing. But then after deciphering them with strained eyes, I could make out the only words spread out over two pages in capitals:

What do we mean by
Wizard Animation

Is Wizard Animation affecting the way we live our lives?

Is the Wizard Animation all there is?

Wizard Animation is it a virtue?

Does Wizard Animation exist?

The article entitled: "The Big Think" (dated 30 July 2007) discussed the link between the profession and everyday life. The discussion primarily focused on the views of some academics, or in this context, philosophers.

What grabbed my direct attention was probably the question: "Does God exist". At this stage in my life, I have spent a lot of time cross-examining what my core values and belief systems are. By inheritance (at birth), I was immediately labelled a Christian. However, after seventeen years and about three hours of that time sitting my my Human Rights and Religion lecture, I began to seriously question why I was a Christian/Catholic. Why was I a Christian? Do I really believe in the primary texts of Christianity such as the Bible and other divinities such as the Holy Trinity? During this crucial stages of 'self-discovery', from being strictly black and white about what religion I belong to, I shifted into the gray area and have since considered myself to be agnostic, ie believing in a higher power that is not necessarily the Christian's God. After a few months now, I caught myself having to rethink why I did no longer consider myself to be Christian.

This happened about two weeks ago, while I was having coffee with a friend, Kathryn. While chatting, an ambulance, sirens blazing and all was passing down the main road adjacent tto the coffee joint. In the midst of all this, I was aware of the ambulance and immediately did the sign of the cross (a habit I still do everytime I hear an ambulance drive past). This made me realise that Catholicism is truly beautiful with its dated traditions. I especially reflected on the sincerity and honesty of some the traditions that happen at mass and the Sacraments that I received while at Catholic School (ie baptism, confirmation, communion, reconciliation)....


PHUCK! i THINK I'M CHRISTIAN AGAIN!
welcome to my life! Just a bit indecisive LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you agree, disagree or want to rant?

Then leave a comment!