Monday 11 April 2011

The Political economy of everything that's wrong in PNG by the Namorong Report

I recently signed up on Twitter about two weeks ago and searched 'Papua New Guinea' to start seeing which fellow New Guineans were on Twitter. I scrolled down the list and started following a few random names that had interesting (if any) filled bios.

I began following Mangimosbi and today only visited his twitter profile and read replies to a post he had published on his post called The Namorong Report.

He claims to a medical school drop-out but after reading his post "The Political Economy of Everything That's Wrong in PNG", I don't see why he can't be published.

Martyn Namorong, aka Mangimosbi writes about the education trap that is the Papua New Guinean education system.

Excerpts include:

The solution is not necessarily to 'teach a person how to catch fish' but to give them a net. I believe it's now fair to comment that microfinance institutions in Papua New Guinea have failed in providing people that net. Politicians, Churches, NGOs and business interests have been excellent distributors of free handouts instead of the 'net'. The net I'm referring to is the ability to trade goods and services and/or labour. Our rural people need efficient and affordable transport networks to move goods to local and global markets and to access services. Our urban people need jobs or financial assistance to start small businesses.

Quotable quotes include:

"I believe change is driven by innovation and innovative people are empowered people."

"I don't dream anymore, I am grounded in the reality. I grapple with the facts as they are. Perhaps there are too many visionaries and dreamers such that no one is there to deal with the reality of life in Papua New Guinea. Even a vast majority of people who a trapped like me do not wish to deal with reality. That is why fast money schemes continue to thrive and voters are gullible towards politicians."


Masalai blog, you should definitely contact this young bright man and include him in the next Forum you chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you agree, disagree or want to rant?

Then leave a comment!